Ah Young Adult, you have had a ridiculous amount of success in recent years. And to think it all started with The Boy Who Lived getting kids to read then hitting the big screen to win even more fame. And then came the sparkly vampires which kicked off paranormal romance as a subgenre. (True story, I went to the bookstore, Waterstones, last Thursday and between the one bookcase of Horror and the five cases of Sci-Fi and Fantasy was a whole bookcase dedicated to the fantasy subgenre Paranormal Romance.)
And now comes my confession: I haven't really read any YA since I read Harry Potter as a young adult myself. I'm so behind the times! So to jump into this Genre of the Month business I decided to catch up to the rest of the world and read some of those happening books that are all the rage with the kids. (Minus Twilight. While I love the covers, I have seen the film, read multiple run-downs of the book and heard excerpts and it's just really not going to happen. Sorry Twilight fans!)
To kill dead any suspense (you were in suspense, right?), I will definitely be reading the Hunger Games and if Shiver actually gets to me on time I'll be hitting that. For the other two books you'll have to wait and see!
It's going to be exciting, like falling in love for the first time, or being entered into a gladiatorial death-match with a bunch of other kids! Awesome.
The Hunger Games
The Swan Kingdom
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Shade
Twilight
Young Adult Overview
Okay so technically YA is a category, not a genre. Still.



There's a lot of great YA out there! Have fun with delving into the YA world a bit. :)
ReplyDelete