Back cover: The Anvil of the World is the tale of Smith, and his feud-prone people, the Children of the sun. Smith, formerly a successful assassin, is trying to retire, hoping to live an honest life in obscurity in spite of all those who have sworn to kill him. But when he agrees to be the master of a caravan travelling from the inland city of Troon to salesh by the sea, trouble follows. As always, Baker's approach is charmingly distinctive. Smith's adventure is certainly the only fantasy featuring a white-uniformed nurse, gourmet cuisine, one hundred and forty-four glass butterflies, and a steamboat.
"Troon, the golden city, sat within high walls on a plain a thousand miles wide."
Oh my gosh, you guys, this book. It's fantasy like you've never seen it. There's caravans which are huge things with gears and keymen who drive them like some steampunk creation, minus the steam, and dragons and demons (well, half-demons, maybe a quarter) who get high, and mages who have challenges to the death by throwing insults. It's like Baker took all the cool things the genre had to offer and mixed them together. It's called a novel but it's more like three novellas with three seperate storylines that happen to involve the same characters in a relatively close time period. It's so readable, I read each part of the novel in about two to three hours over three nights. I just, I don't even know what else there is to say about this book because if you aren't already interested I'm not sure what your deal is. It made me laugh out loud in at least three spots I can recall off the top of my head. Baker doesn't go hugely in-depth with the characters initially -- the main characters I would classify as Smith, Mrs. Smith (no relation) and Lord Ermenwyr -- but they are so much fun to read it's like do you really care that you don't know what your friend's relationship was like with their father or why they got started in their career if they are getting up to crazy hijinks and making you laugh your ass off? And to be fair you do get a lot of Lord Ermenwyr's family issues right up in your face, poor thing.
Seriously, I know I said I wanted another George R. R. Martin type epic politcal read but man, this book is just another example of how great fantasy can be. Why would you stick to the worn out stories/themes/settings when there is so much room to play? If Martin does dark and gritty tangled fantasy, Baker's shown how fantasy can be magic and fun and light. The closest comparison would be Terry Pratchett but that's satire, a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If Pratchett plays with the tropes, Baker just ignores them or uses only the fun parts.
TL;DR-- Baker brings the fun back to fantasy. You should read it.
For more info/reviews check this book out on Amazon UK/US.
Monday, 4 April 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)

Wow this book sounds awesome. And I LOVE that cover---it pretty much says it all. My new WIP is fantasy so I def wanna check this out. Thanks for mentioning it. I hadn't heard of it yet.
ReplyDeleteok- straight to the TBR pile!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you manage to get through so many books so quickly but it's very admirable! :)
ReplyDeleteThe cover is gorgeous. And I agree with the above comment: how do you get through so many books?! I wish I had your reading speed and comprehension. I actually need a fantasy to check out and this sounds great. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteFor years I only read fantasy. I got tired of it, so much of the same. Thanks for the title - sounds great!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really great! Thanks for the review; I've added it to my TBR list. :)
ReplyDeletePK- I know, isn't the cover pretty? I can't wait to hear more about your fantasy WIP, it seems like all the writer-bloggers online are writing YA.
ReplyDeleteKO- Haha, what else is there to say?
D U Okonkwo- Thanks very much but you should see how many books writer-blogger-friend Aleeza gets through (it's a lot!).
Saumya- I get through the books I do by not having a life, not a course I recommend! I hope you like the book, it's definitely an easy entry into fantasy considering the genre does giant word counts like nobody's business.
Jennifer Neri- This is definitely not like the other fantasy books you've read, I hope it brings you back into the fantasy family.
Carol- I'm glad to hear it and I hope you enjoy the book.
- Sophia.
I love that cover. I haven't read much fantasy - but plan to change that soon!
ReplyDeleteYou're a fast reader!
ReplyDeleteI love this cover... I'd pick this one up in a bookstore for sure.
Jayne- This would make a good gateway fantasy book!
ReplyDeleteJennifer Hillier- I love all the appreciative comments the cover is getting, I was pretty pleased with it too. Gotta love all these writers judging a book by its cover! The book is as fun as the cover makes it look though.
- Sophia.
The fun back in fantasy? Hey, I was already sold when you told me about "mages who have challenges to the death by throwing insults" - I am so getting this book!
ReplyDeleteMargo- Glad to hear it, I hope you like it as much as I did!
ReplyDelete- Sophia