Wednesday, 4 May 2011

What Are You Doing To Support Other Writers?

Last week I accidentally deleted today's scheduled post so you're getting this'un instead. Fun tip: do not paste over an entire blog post with a copied em-dash and then press your browser's back button. In the millisecond between pressing CTRL+ V and going back, blogger will save a new draft e.g. hello, nearly blank page. Never mind, the glass is already broken. (I also deleted my stored session on firefox. Note to self: stop being the worst.) Moving on.

As a writer do you feel guilty buying books used or borrowing them from the library? Theoretically you should buy books new, full price, to support the author, right? Especially since one day that could well be us dying for someone to pleaseGodalmightybuymybook! They got advances to earn out, dammit.

Honestly, I couldn't do Genre of the Month without having a well-stocked library catalogue at my back. I would be much less likely to try a new author in a new genre if I had to pay up to £10 for the privilege-- and that's not even counting the hardback recent releases hunkering down on my TBR list.

Plus it's not just authors who need my support right now. My county's libraries are handing out forms with suggestions for how they can save money because the government is cutting their budget by 33%. My library is one of the lucky ones that won't be closing (we do good business apparently, good for us) but for others their access to free books is about to get a lot more limited. So yeah, I like to think borrowing 52 books a year (and donating about 200 to be sold in the past 2 years, trying to lessen my hoarding tendencies) is helping keep my library open, which is kind of more important to me than helping an abstract author. And libraries buy books full price, so it's suckas like me who reserve a book for 3 months -- true story, I'm looking at you Shiver -- who might encourage them to, y'know, buy another copy, which in turn supports the author.

I have no such moral argument for why when I do actually *buy* a book it's usually from Amazon or eBay. What can I say, I was a poor student and now I'm a poor twenty-something. Roni points out that a reader may take a chance on a new author by buying their book used and then, if they like him/her, go on to buy their newer releases. Or a reader may buy all or most of their books used (ahem, me) and the author won't get that second book sale. And now with branches of the big bookstores closing edittorrent wonders if bookstores are becoming expendable when we have places like Amazon and eBay and with the kindle/iPad/your-e-reader-of-choice there are some who eschew traditional books all together.


Do you buy your books new or used? In a major bookstore or an indie bookstore, or from an online retailer like Amazon or eBay? How do you feel about where you spend your money? And had you thought about any of this at all before now?

19 comments :

  1. I try to mix it up. I made a resolution starting last year to buy at least one new book every month, whether from Amazon or in store. Other than that, I do a lot of borrowing from friends. I used to use the library a lot, but less now that I have friends with good book collections of their own, lol. But you're right that the libraries need books too.

    (If it makes you feel better, authors DO get some money from library book checkouts. The libraries have to purchase the books, and re-purchase to replace old or missing copies. Plus I *think* the more libraries that order a book, the better it looks for that title/author.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!
    I think even just reading authors work is support (assuming you got the book legally.) And following blogs, etc, is supportive, too.
    Great post, though, a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haunt used book stores, and I often buy through Abe Books. But I also shop sometimes at Borders or Barnes & Noble. When I travel, I definitely buy a new book right there at the airport bookshop, since I can't imagine a long trip without a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have felt guilty getting so many of my books from the library - THANK you for pointing out that libraries need the support, too, in the form of numbers of borrowers.

    I am limiting my buying these days to first release novels - first releases only, to support an author who doesn't have a fan base built up yet. I've bought four books so far from bloggers that I've gotten to know and wanted to support (just like i'd hope they'd buy my book when it ever comes out).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did that with my CREEP review - had the whole thing written, hit one button which replaced it with a question mark and the damn thing autosaved. Sigh. Started again. SAME THING happened, BUT I closed blogger immediately so it didn't save and I was able to recoup it that time. Whew.

    I'm all over the map with my books - library, used bookstore, indie, Barnes & Noble, Amazon...it depends. If I'm browsing in any of the stores, I grab them. If money is tight that month, I go the library. That being said, if I really, really love the book or series, I will end up buying it for my collection anyway. I don't feel guilty no matter where I get them. I'm reading them. If I love them, I recommend them (which would get the author another few sales).

    And I want to say that Margo is the sweetest person ever for doing that. So supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I get a lot of books from the library, but I do buy a fair share of books new too. Usually if I get a really great, raving recommendation, I'll buy the book. Otherwise, library!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'll be the first to admit it...I'm sort of a cheap skate. I get most of my books at the library. The other ones, I buy at my local used book store.

    However, in my defense I have two small children in daycare, and a mortgage. So Mama's broke.
    :)

    Also, there are a few authors that I know that I would go and buy their book (if only to brag to the checker, "I KNOW this person!")

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I TOTALLY feel you about leaving behind the trail of suckage. I am so there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, these are such great questions. I try to buy new books when I can. If an author is coming out with a first or new book, I'll splurge during the week it comes out because I know those sales are important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We Heart YA- That's a pretty supportive resolution! Ah, the joys of friends who read are limitless aren't they? And your parenthetical statement does make me feel better so thanks!

    Sarah- I didn't think about following their blogs as being supportive, that's a good point, Sarah. And I think you're right that the important part is reading the books!

    Elizabeth- Sounds like you have a good blend of book buying habits!

    Margo- Hey you stopped by! I should feel bad for luring you away from writing (you have been writing, right?) but I can't help being pleased to see you. I love your idea of supporting debut authors since they, in particular, need all the sales they can get. Good call supporting blogger-writer-friends, too. Okay, *now* you can disappear into the ether again.

    Jennie B.- Oh man, a twofer, not good. Glad you managed to save your post the second time! You sound like another person with a good mix of book buying/reading habits. I didn't really think about the fact that 1) reading books is the basic form of reader support and 2) I do recommend the books I enjoy (see A Game of Thrones which I mentioned pretty much every post in April). I love Margo's debut author support, too!

    Meredith- Is it cheeky to hope that my rave recommendations offsets some of the books that I borrow from the library?

    Marewolf- Haha, I love your line that 'Mama's broke'. Others have pointed out in the comments that just reading and recommending the books is a form of support I overlooked and money does go to the authors from the books libraries buy-- every little helps.

    Saumya- That's another good point about *when* you buy an author's debut being important.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post Sophia-- I do a lot of library, some second-hand and a very little buying from stores.
    I can't afford it. I do hope one day I will have a bigger book-buying budget and I can buy first hand. I don't like to buy a lot of "stuff", but books are not "stuff", they are a good investment.
    When I had more expendable $ in the past I was able to support more music I loved, more restaurants I loved, and more bookstores I loved. Now I just listen to nearly NO new music, eat at home, and use the library.

    I will do it again when I can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is interesting to think about. Personally, I'm a book buyer. I purchase from my Borders (because I will sob and crawl into a dark hole if they shut down) and from my local new/used indie, but not as often. I rarely order from Amazon, even though I know it's cheaper, because I feel like it's important to support my local businesses.

    I'm not big on checking out books for myself from the library (though I get books for my three-year-old there all the time) because I don't like to have a time line to read them and I always feel a little sad when I have to return a book I love. It's all about convenience for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mostly buy new books (occasionally I buy used, but only when I'm Portland and am visiting Powell's, which is a whole city block and 4 stories of new and used book heaven!). I usually buy my books from Barnes & Noble, but occasionally I'll buy them from an indie store if I'm in the neighborhood (which I'm normally not). Occasionally I'll buy from Amazon (and mainly for my Kindle, which I only use when I travel) but I don't order online that much. I like the experience of wandering around a bookstore.

    I don't check out books from the library anymore... mainly because I'm terrible at remembering to bring them back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hardly ever use the library, but I mean to. :) The fact is, I buy one or two new books each month and then swap with my friends. If I really love one of their books, I will buy my own copy. I order from Amazon when I'm being lazy, and hit up B&N when I'm not. I just bought a children's picture book for $17 from them, and had to keep reminding myself that it's all to support writers!
    The best way to support writers? Word of Mouth, baby! Love this post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been mixing it up. I buy some new, I borrow books from the library and my friends and I also buy some eBooks. I've also bought some used books. I haven't felt guilty about my book-buying before but this is an interesting discussion! I should make a point to buy more new releases, especially of debut authors I'm interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To be honest this is a question I have asked myself. I'm a big fan of my local libraries. BUT do ;you know that each time we borrow a book the author gets paid? Yep, it's something called a Library Payment or something, so technically, we are supporting authors :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right... we should be forking out full price to support authors--especially debut. But are we? Not in the least. I buy all my books used on Amazon and or in eBook format. It only makes sense and I can't afford to pay full price when I can pay lower. It's the state of the economy, and I agree with Roni saying fans will be more likely to pay higher prices once they know they'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do think about these things, and generally try to buy contemporary books from a bookshop (especially when they have those 3 for 2 deals), out of print classics from secondhand stores, and hard to get hold of titles from Amazon. I might also pick up a contemporary book in a charity shop but these act like 'shop windows' for the author as if I like then I'll seek out more. I use the library more for research topics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do a little of everything. But I never looked at my checking books out - especially if I'm wait-listed - as support for the library AND the author. What an interesting perspective.

    Being a poor teacher, I am wary about buying books. I know it supports the author, but I also have to be selective about the ones I hang onto. But I feel the reading and the reviewing is helping the author as well.

    Then again, if I'm ever published - this hypocrite would want everyone to buy. So I do what I can. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. KO- I like your point about not liking to buy a lot of stuff but counting books as an investment! You're right though, when finances get tight it's luxuries like buying books new that sadly end up going.

    Katy- It's interesting that you mentioned buying books new over Amazon to support your local businesses, I hadn't thought of extending my desire to support my library to supporting my local bookstores. Having the time line to read books each week for my Genre of the Month series is keeping me reading even when I think it would be easier to watch a movie so I can't complain too much about the library choosing the order!

    Jennifer- Oh my goodness yes, I have read about and seen photos of Powell's, holy cow! 'I like the experience of wandering around a bookstore.' Tell me about it, I did this for the first time in literally over a year last week and ended up losing two hours somewhere in the YA aisle. Time well spent, I say. I couldn't forget about returning my library books since I'm there every Saturday and now known by name!

    Sarah- If you have friends into the same books I can how having a swapping system would be seriously awesome. I'm trying to convince myself even though I'm not buying new books I'm helping the authors I adore by blabbing about them on the blog *cough*read George R. R. Martin*cough*.

    Ghenet- I hadn't thought about it much either but I really like the point that's been raised in the comments that buying debut authors' books in their release week is a particularly good way of supporting the author and increases the likelihood of more books. And more books is an idea everyone can get behind, right?

    D U Okonkwo- I did *not* know that and I feel much better for having heard that. Thanks, D U!

    PK- Buying eBooks instead of the real thing isn't as 'bad' as buying used though since the author will still see some of the money and it's good for their sales so I wouldn't feel too worried. And word of mouth is good, too so just share the love! Can you tell I'm also trying to alleviate some of my own guilt here?

    Jayne- I like the idea that charity shops are like shop windows for the author, that's a great twist on Roni's point that buying used is a good way to find an author whose newer releases you then hunt down.

    Alison- I'm in the same boat, hoping reading and reviewing counts toward supporting the author. If I recommend it and someone actually heeds my crazy words and buys the book then it's still a win for the author, right?
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete