"The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn."
Have you ever heard or read that the classics are classics because they have universal themes? Well, The Picture of Dorian Gray takes that one step further: this is a classic because it has universal themes condensed into pithy sentences that could be the title and core of a many thousand words thesis. Seriously, I was taking notes not based on whether the writing was gorgeous, or a good example of how to increase the tension etc.; I took notes based on ideas. Check it out:
"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one’s nature perfectly-that is what each of us is here for." Starting off small: what's the meaning of life?
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
“[T]he people who love only once in their lives are really the shallow people. What they call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either the lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination. Faithfulness is to the emotional life what consistency is to the life of the intellect-simply a confession of failure."
"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one’s self, and one always ends by deceiving others."
Now who doesn't want to write an essay targeted at one or all of these statements? This book definitely makes you think, beyond the obvious 'what would you do?' when it comes to the issue of selling your soul to remain young and beautiful. There's a lot of cynicism and some romanticism (I'm thinking of poor Basil, who loved Dorian), but no-one could deny that the book is full of ideas and intelligent conversation. Agree with the sentiment or not, the reader is drawn into Lord Henry Wotton's sphere of influence just as much as Dorian Gray.

Oooh, unique post for this Monday. Loved it!
ReplyDeleteI read this at least three times in high school while on an oscar wilde kick. He's still one of the top dead people I'd love to hang out with for a day. Seemed like he'd be a good time. Glad to have discovered your blog! New follower here:)
ReplyDeleteOh I loved this book! And you're so right, there's so much to think about with these snippets. I could write a thesis on any of them. Great choices!
ReplyDeleteI've been planning to read this this fall (finally)--now you've made it so I can't wait.
ReplyDeleteI've been toying with the idea of reading DORIAN for awhile now, but I'm never quite sure if it'll interest me. Thanks to your review, I'll definitely check it out. :)
ReplyDeleteThese quotes are incredible and I agree with you: each one deserves a thesis! I've noticed the same thing about some of those classics: each sentence seems so carefully picked and constructed. They are true works of art.
ReplyDeleteAhh, I loved this book! Oscar Wilde is awesome--definitely one of those books that make you take notes in the margins!
ReplyDeleteA great book... yes, full of ideas :)...but holy shizzballs has the film industry butchered it.
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a lovely week.
Hugs,
Lola
@Lindsay Glad you liked, Lindsay.
ReplyDelete@Katie Thanks for the follow, hope you enjoy your stay!
@PK It seems to have a good rep in the comments.
@Rebecca I hope you enjoy it; the other commenters all seemed to!
@Katy Hope you like.
@Saumya Middlemarch definitely feels like that.
@Meredith It's probably a bad thing that I found myself agreeing with Lord Henry a lot, right? I mean, he's so cynical; I'm not sure Wilde *really* wants me to think he's brilliant.
@Lola I want to see the newest remake with the actor from Narnia in it, but I have now lowered my expectations after your comment!
I can see why literary teachers use this book in classrooms, with all of those essay prompts. :)
ReplyDeleteNo kidding about the thesis ideas!!! "When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one’s self, and one always ends by deceiving others." -- so true, so sad.
ReplyDelete