Keep in mind these were books I read in 2011, not necessarily books released this year. Sadly, I won't be taking part in the YA Superlatives Blogfest because I only read a handful of 2011 releases. The upside is, I now have a(nother) reading goal for 2012: more recent releases!
Onwards!
Contemporary Issue
Light Contemporary
Fantasy (part of a series)
Fantasy (standalone)
Paranormal
Urban Fantasy
Dystopian
Sci-fi
And extra bonus books shamelessly ripped from the YA Superlatives Blogfest:
Most Envy-Inducing Plot (Or, the plot you wish you’d thought of yourself.): The Body Finder, Kimberly Derting, with the addendum that I wish the focus had remained on the awesome premise and not the romance.
Most Wonderful World-Building: The Pain Merchants, Janice Hardy.
Most Formidable World (Or, the setting you most definitely would NOT want to travel to.): Apart from Panem, the hike-through-the-desert part of (Girl of) Fire and Thorns, Rae Carson. Because I would have struggled just as much, but I'm pretty sure my weight loss would have been more of the dying and wasting away variety.
Wanderlust-Inducing (Or, the setting you’d happily travel to.): Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor
Loveliest Prose: Shiver, Maggie Stieffvater; Lips Touch Three Times, Laini Taylor
Best First Line: Delirium, Lauren Oliver.
Most Dynamic Main Character: Katniss Everdeen, 'The Hunger Games' trilogy, Suzanne Collins. Chloe Saunders, 'The Darkest Powers' trilogy, Kelley Armstrong.
Most Jaw-Dropping Finale: The Summoning, Kelley Armstrong.
And because I couldn't let this crazy, quirky character miss out:
Most Awesome Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Stargirl, of Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli.









Oh, yay! I'm so glad you posted these answers! Oddly enough, a few of your choices line up with mine, as you will soon see. :) And here's to reading lots of books pubbed in 2012 next year!
ReplyDeleteI love/hate MPDGs, so I will have to check out Stargirl! I want to read more of Laini Taylor's work. She's definitely my gateway into the world of fantasy.
ReplyDeleteI love the categories inspired by the YA Superlatives. Will shamelessly borrow that for my next post, too. Yay for Hunger Games, Across the Universe, and well maybe even Paranormalcy. Parts of it. I haven't read the others, though Uglies is on my list :)
ReplyDeleteYay for excellent taste! Definitely, I am psyched to have a reading goal for next year, so thanks for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI think Laini would love knowing she was your gateway author into fantasy. And yay, welcome!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see your post! I loved Evie's voice in Paranormalcy and the sexy slightly evil fey love interest who totally made me want to write about the evil side of fey (they usually seem to end up nice). I might need to read the sequel some time soon. Does your 'parts of Paranormalcy comment mean you won't be rushing out to get the sequel?
ReplyDelete