Monday, 5 March 2012
Book Buying Habits or Traditional vs. Digital
Lovely lady Margo recently posted an example of an awesome analysis technique where you highlight sentences depending on their function and/or content. She used this technique to study a published book, but I've also seen it used as a revision tool by Janice Hardy. On a seemingly unrelated note, I also watched youtuber Alex Day's video where he shows the full extent of his possessions (71 items) and then read the blog post where he explains his lifestyle choice. The two sources merged and got me thinking (isn't the internet great?).
Basically, Alex doesn't own books or DVDs etc. because once he's enjoyed them, he passes them on to others to be enjoyed. Similarly, I rarely reread books -- which is why it's one of my goals this year -- so it seems stupid to buy a copy only to read it once then take up space. Hence I'm a huge fan of my local library. But I do still like to look at books, because, unlike Alex, I just like having beautiful things around me. (Sidebar: in my Friday Favourites post two weeks ago, I asked whether people preferred a beautiful, sterile magazine house or a cluttered but loved/lived in home. I lean very hard toward the beautiful, sterile end of the spectrum. End sidebar.) So I like having pretty books in my bookcase. Still, I'm not going to buy 100+ books a year only to read them once. At a conservative estimate of £5 each, lowballing the recent releases and hardbacks, that would be £500. Yeah, no, that's not cool.
My system is to borrow books that I haven't read before from the library (a lot, and I frequently request titles, so I like to think I'm supporting authors and my library that way). Books I can't get from the library I buy then resell or give away if I know that I won't reread them, and books that I've read and know I'll want to reread, I buy.
But despite being a studious nerd, I'm also lazy. ("I am large. I contain multitudes.") I'd love to borrow Margo's method of analysis, but I have enough trouble making myself type out passages I adore without going to the trouble of photocopying 20 pages in order to highlight and study them. Which makes me think getting an e-reader might not be a bad idea. I don't know if it's possible to highlight in different colours on any of the models out there, but it would mean those books I'd like to reread to study but don't love the story or cover enough to want to buy it for its own sake I could buy as a slightly cheaper e-book.
So that's my random attitude toward the traditional vs. digital book debate. What about you guys, do you prefer aesthetically pleasing books made from trees or the ease of instant gratification on an e-reader?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)

I love a mix of the two. I use books as decoration around my apartment--I have two beautiful bookshelves, and then stacks of books lining the walls. But sometimes it's just easier to get a book on my e-reader.
ReplyDeleteI have an eReader, and I never use it. I just the feel of a book in my hands, and I can't stand not knowing via the feel where I'm at in the story (e.g. middle, near the end, etc.) I had no idea how that was a huge part of reading for me until I started experimenting with eBooks.
ReplyDeleteI'd be okay as long as it showed the page number: I've gotten into the habit of looking at how many pages a book has so I can set myself goals like 'if I read 50 pages a day I'll be done in X amount of days'. Of course, when I get really into a book I don't have to set goals, but I can check my progress and rationalise continuing reading when I should probably sleep!
DeleteI've been setting myself on a reading schedule lately, and it's weird for me--usually I burn through books without thinking about the time I'm taking to read. While I like what I've been reading lately for the most part, I haven't had a book really suck me in for a while.
DeleteI still like physical books better and I love seeing them on my shelves. But I also like eReaders too. The convenience of being able to download a book instantly is appealing, and like you, I'd sometimes rather not have a book take up space on my shelf if I never plan on reading it again.
ReplyDeleteI still like books better, though I am starting to read more indy e-books because for a dollar or two (sorry, forgot my dollar to pound conversion) I can be enticed to buy them. Things will really get interesting if libraries really take off with e-book lending.
ReplyDeleteI get most of my books from the library. I only buy them if they are a) new releases that really appeal to me, and then I do a giveaway on the blog b) I love them so much I want a copy for evah and evah.
I hate clutter, and all my bookshelves are filled... therefore libraries are my best friend.
My argument for traditional paper-and-ink books is that you can't stock a beautiful library in your town, school, house, wherever, with Kindles! I've tried e-readers before and although they're convenient, there's just no comparison for me - books are the way to go. Somehow I feel so much more connected to what I'm reading when it's in my hands and my fingers are turning actual pages. I love buying and re-reading books over and over, although I'm a big fan of the library too.
ReplyDelete