Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Let's Talk About Race

Technically this is getting posted on Thursday because blogger's updated post editor is being annoying.

Long, serious post is long and serious. All opinions discussed here are my own and entirely subjective and totally fallible. Just so's we're clear.

Last week I talked about YA issue books being written (largely) for the teens who suffer from those issues, about representing them so they know that they're not alone and their stories matter. Following on from that idea of representation, as a mixed race reader, I never questioned why I wasn't represented in the books I read and as a mixed race writer I never questioned why I wasn't writing non-white characters. Not until as recently as March/April when the YA blogosphere was overrun with discussions about race in Young Adult books. And now I struggle to name even one black or mixed race character in a book, and I think guiltily of all my own ideas for novels and short stories, none of which came with a non-white face in the cast.

It wasn’t until I read this post on teenwritersbloc that it really hit home that any character who isn’t white is considered ‘other’ in books-- meaning that unless otherwise stated, a reader, even a mixed race reader like myself, can safely assume a character is white. Beyond the story setting up a different expectation, say, by locating the story in deepest Africa, or India, the odds are, if we haven’t been given prior warning, caucasian is the default. This has been so ingrained that I didn’t even question this assumption until I read that blog post. As a mixed race reader, why wasn’t I projecting myself onto the characters?

And I answer myself, because after years of reading, that projection would have been incorrect every time. I assume when the writers were writing their books they didn’t do so with an eye toward their market but if they had been apparently they wouldn’t have been looking at me. As a mixed race writer, does that then mean I owe it to others like me to write non-white characters? At what point does representing other races become writing colour for the sake of being politically correct? And most importantly for me, if race isn’t the issue of the book, does including minorities become more or less important, because isn't writing other races only to talk about race just as bad as glossing over other races entirely?

Honestly, race isn’t the most important element of character for me; I’m not even sure it’s on the list. I don’t give any more thought to skin colour than I would to whether they have blonde or brown hair. Unless it’s going to affect the plot -- which brings us back to writing different races just to talk about race -- then why sweat it? But even to suggest that shows my privilege. For some people, race affects their lives every day. That it doesn’t affect mine, and that that’s still not the universal norm, just goes to show that racial equality is still something that needs to be strived for, including representing other races without having it be all about how they are different.

I don’t know what this means for me as a writer. I haven’t suddenly changed my default character to mixed-race-- my characters still come to me white (and American for some reason?). I don’t intend to make them non-white just because either. The only noticeable change is that now when I make those choices, and they are choices, I'm aware I'm making them. And I’m aware, too, that for the right story, there will come a time when it doesn’t make sense not to represent. And I will write that mixed-race or minority character the same way I would any other-- as a character, not a stock type to fill a quota.


I hope we can all agree that we need to see more diversity in YA literature (and race is just for starters, shout out to the LGBTQ spectrum), my question for you is how do you think this should be done? More race issue books, showing how the other half lives? Characters who just happen to be minorities without it affecting their lives? Characters in the middle where it affects some parts of their lives but isn’t the central story? Is there even a right way, a natural way, to effect this change?

P.S. This is a great post by Claire Dawn about how to treat The Other.

18 comments :

  1. This is something I struggle with because I feel different ethnic backrounds shouldn't be ignored, but if it's not important to the story (or how a character reacts to something) then it's probably not important to bring up.

    Ellen Hopkins told me last year during a critique that I shouldn't mention what characters look like because readers like to imagine the character to look like someone they know. I'm not sure if that's true. I prefer description. But what she said goes along with the idea of not mentioning race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great questions and discussion. I'm a mixed race writer as well, and I've struggled with this same issue. Am I "allowed" to write about Asians, or am I "not Asian enough"? If I write about white people, am I doing some sort of disservice to other mixed race or Asian people?

    Instinctively, I buck against both sides. I don't want to be obligated to write any certain type of story or characters, but I also don't want to neglect my heritage, because it does matter deeply to me.

    So far I've done as you have, and just let my gut instinct (and most importantly, THE STORY) guide my decisions about race. Whatever the story calls for, I write.

    If I look at my story ideas, I think I've naturally got a 50/50 divide between Asian and white, actually. (In terms of protagonists.) Probably because I embrace both "sides" of myself fairly equally.

    But then what about blacks? Hispanics? Etc. Am I "allowed" to write about them? Sometimes those stories come to my mind as well.

    I don't think there are any right or wrong answers. I think the key is to write the stories that compel you, whatever race they might "belong" to. And like you said, maybe/hopefully someday race won't be an issue. It will just be.

    KH

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCELLENT discussion. We don't really have any answers, except to say that we heartily support diversity in YA (and in all writing, really). Not for the SAKE of diversity, but for the sake of representing the world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you follow Reading in Color? I recommend her blog posts and reviews on YA books with diverse characters: http://blackteensread2.blogspot.com/ (plus she's super fun :) )
    I agree that this is a really important issue to address in YA. It seems like lately, after a few whitewashed cover debacles, big publishers are (hopefully) getting better about representing minorities in YA... but there's still a long way to go, I think. I try to keep my characters diverse too, because... well, I feel like it gives me more options for realistic, relatable, and different (from lots of the white heterosexual YA that's already out there, that is) subplots. My main plots are usually about spaceships attacking/murder and political intrigue though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent questions, Sophia. I'm not Caucasian either, and yet when I read YA books, I definitely picture Caucasian characters by default. Probably because they were written that way. My perception of what the character looks like depends on how the author portrays said character. At least, that's how I see it.

    I have read other books where the characters are not so detailed that it's easy to insert in my mind whatever characteristic I want the character/s to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write my characters as they come to me, and as I live in a diverse city (London) my characters reflect that. All o fmy friends look nothing like me, and I reflect that in my writing with my characters. It's very United Nations in my stories :o)

    As I writer you must write what you want, there's no allowed or not allowed about it. You as the writer have control, so write what you want. Diversity is much more interesting to me than everyone looking the same. Everyone being the same isn't real life, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophia, we finally get to see your beautiful face! Yay! This is a great topic. I do write diverse characters because for me, it embraces who i want them to be. I'm around different ethnicities on a daily basis and I find it much more interesting than a same race group, therefore I add that flavor to my characters when it's right for them. I've not had a non-white MC yet, mainly because I write in first person and it feels more natural to write it as a white character. But what I love about other peeps are those diversities that make them interesting, which is why I include the same kinds of characters in my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting post Sophia (and the poster is quite funny).
    It is fascinating to me that the "default" is white-- I wonder if that's something we're taught from reading all those british novels and "classics" featuring mostly white people.

    Some characters come to me as black, white, mixed race or what have you, and they stay that way in the book, but my MCs are (so far) white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, a really interesting post! I think you nailed it - it's important to be aware of the choices we make for our characters and not just do the "default" thing. I know I LOVE stories that bring in different races/cultures/religions etc and mixes... and I like all kind of stories: the ones where race is an issue, the ones where it isn't but it's neat to see things from a different racial or cultural perspective; and the third "middle" one you suggested. I am reading Stockten's "The Help" right now, a very racial issue book, and it's AMAZING. I also loved the Red Pyramid where the two main characters are biracial, but the girl looks like her white mother and is raised in England, and the boy looks like his black father and was raised constantly traveling so he laments not really having a culture of his own.

    I've noticed a lot of YA books where the main characters are white but the BFF or some other character is a different race, which lends some diversity but can sometimes feel like a gimmick or just a nod to diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great thing to think about as writers. My default as a reader is "someone like me" unless I've been told something else by the cover art or blurb. This resulted in quite a shock when I heard Suzanne Collins read from "The Hunger Games" in a strong Appalachian twang: I had never imagined Katniss with an accent because she had my voice in my head.

    One of my favorite Shakespeare productions is Kenneth Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" because he cast Denzel Washington as one of the main characters -- a Prince, with an illegitimate (Caucasian) half-brother -- and no one in the play-world so much as bats an eye. He is considered a perfectly appropriate marriage partner for any of the women in the play (unlike Othello) and a lord they are all proud to serve. I think that's the world I'd like to see in books -- where neither I as a reader nor the characters in the book are surprised by or looking for a character's physical features or ethnic background.

    Finally, from my recent reading on Twitter, agents would like to see books where things like race aren't the main issue for the character but rather are incidental or in the past, just part of who she/he is, not the "message" of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so with you on this. I write adult fiction but even I was told by my editor that if I didn't specify the character's ethnicity, readers would assume they were white.

    I hadn't even thought about it! My MC is Chinese American and I'd never referenced it, even though her name makes that pretty clear. But I was told to add in references to her "dark Asian eyes" so that readers would know she was Chinese. Why did it matter? I don't know really, but I suppose it does, and so I did it, and it didn't hurt the book in any way. But it is really interesting how the default is Caucasian. Would that be the same if the book was written in Asia or Africa, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stina- While I do like Ellen Hopkins' idea of not describing characters so readers can project themselves/someone they know onto the character I wonder how many readers are like me and default to caucasian unless prompted differently.

    Kristan- Don't get me started on whether I'm black enough to write black. My friend and I joke that we're white inside because we're so removed from that cultural identity. I agree that at the end of the day the story is king. I love that you've got such an even split between Asian and white, yay for embracing both sides of your identity. And you're right, once you start thinking about whether you're allowed to write different races then you get into weird 'I can only write about someone *exactly like me*' territory and that belongs in memoir not fiction.

    We Heart YA- I love your line that you support diversity '[n]ot for the sake of diversity, but for the sake of representing the world we live in.' YES.

    Ellen- I don't, I'll check out her blog! I like your point about writing diversity because it gives you more options for subplots, I hadn't thought about that. Also loving the sound of your stories of spaceships, murder, and political intrigue!

    Cherie- Good point about the author's portrayal shaping perceptions of a character's appearance. The most obvious example would be if the MC's family were described as being black, odds are you think the MC is black too without having them gaze into a mirror or, I don't know, stick an afro-pick in their hair. Ditto judging by the neighbourhood, slang, school clique etc.

    D U Okonkwo- I love your '[i]t's very United Nations in my stories' line! In an ideal world I think all books would be as diverse.

    PK- Yay for my (pretty?) face indeed! You're not the first to say you have a diverse cast so maybe in a few years' time blog posts like this will have become largely irrelevant.

    KO- I'm not sure what it says about me that no character has ever come to me as anything but white but I'm glad it seems to be just my issue!

    Margo- I think it all comes down to authenticity in the end. Like you said, some ethnically diverse sidekick characters can come across as caricatures but then others almost take over by the sheer force of their personality.

    Maryanne- I love the story you shared about that Shakespeare production, I think that's the dream-- where race is such a non-issue it's not commented on. I had to cut out a few paragraphs from this post where I said something along those lines using the example of an ideal world where black actors merrily went to cast calls where the character isn't explicitly black.

    Jennifer- I'm glad it's not just me who defaults to white (I'm not racist, I swear!) but at the same time I'm saddened because, y'know, why? That's a good point and now you've got me wondering whether it's the same for books written in Asia and Africa. Not to start wildly casting aspersions but it's so tempting to be all 'Hollywood did this with their all-white blockblusters!'. Good thing I'm resisting the urge to say that.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great discussion here, Sophia!
    I alway assumed we each imagined the characters similar to our own backgrounds, to the faces we are used to seeing around us, unless deep description is given. Interesting that the default is white & american. And sad, yes. More diveristy is needed, and it's our job as writers to put it there

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer N.- The worrying thing, beyond the fact that I default to white and American when I'm mixed race and only half American and raised in England, is that I can't pinpoint when or why I developed this issue. It might be easier to counteract if I could point to a specific book or 'evil corporation' (I joked about Hollywood) that led to this but it's just one of those insiduous beliefs. I'll probably have to suck it up and write it out.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the mention!

    You know I had never thought about this. I'm from a 95% Black island. So every one is Black by default unless they're clearly not. And if my characters aren't Black, they're latina or Asian (I live in Japan now). And it's not even about being white. I'm kind of the flip of you, I don't write American characters.

    I think I'll always write minorities. When I lived in the US for two years, my bffs were Asian and Hispanic. I don't relate as well to American whites or even blacks. lol.

    I think ppl should write what feels natural. Black for the sake of being Black doesn't make sense. Also I'd like to see more books including race where race doesn't matter. Like where everyone in a neighbourhood is Black. but not urban novels. That's a whole different ballgame.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to see. "Characters who just happen to be minorities without it affecting their lives? " Sherri Winston's President of the Whole Fifth Grade was great. My students really want to see themselves reflected in the books they read, and for my suburban African American students, it's really hard. Sundee Frasier's books are great. Every year there are more and more students who are mixed race, and some of them do struggle with identity issues. There are so few books out there where they can see themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting discussion! (I meant to comment on this before leaving for vacation but didn't get the chance, so sorry for the late reply!) Like you, I automatically assume characters in books are Caucasian unless it's made clear they aren't. I actually imagine the MC in my WIP as African American but so far I haven't written a physical description for her so it's not clear at all. I'm not sure how I should handle it. On the one hand, I think it would be great to see more stories about Black girls that has nothing to do with their race. On the other hand, I don't want to make a big deal about her race if it isn't important to the story. I'll have to figure this out during revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember this being a hot topic this spring, and I'm finding this late, but I think this article is one of my favorites. I like these points:

    "At what point does representing other races become writing colour for the sake of being politically correct? And most importantly for me, if race isn’t the issue of the book, does including minorities become more or less important, because isn't writing other races only to talk about race just as bad as glossing over other races entirely?"

    Because I think throwing people in for the sake of having diversity is racist. As I understand it, racism is people treating people differently because of race. That includes special privileges as well as mistreatment. Special privileges turns into classicism.

    In my opinion, the solution/s is/are:
    --for writers to write what they know--if a white writer has grown up in a majority white community, this is what they know. how is that racist?
    --for the character's skin be guided by the STORY and the need to tell it properly, not for political correctness in the real world. priority goes to the imagination when writing.

    ReplyDelete