Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Triggering Topics in YA


This is an expanded version of a reply to Sarah Fine's post about whether YA writers should include 'triggering' topics in their books. Behold!

Let's begin by talking about the Bible, shall we? Don't worry, I'm not going to get all preachy on you because 1) I'm an atheist and b) that would be lame, but this Bible verse (courtesy of having lived with Christian housemates and having a Christian grandma who supplies me with unasked for literature) is apt. "Jesus said to them, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'" Some parents worry that their teens will read something 'bad' (premarital sex/homosexuality/drugs/self-harm) and then go out and blindly imitate what they've read. Ignoring the condescending attitude toward teens implying a 'monkey see, monkey do' attitude that, for the most part, is inaccurate, it makes me hope that those kids with parents who fret about them so much they'd like to censor their reading material aren't the ones who need to read these books. Relating the above Bible verse back to our topic, it's the kids who are already struggling to cope with the issues raised in these books that need them. Little middle-class Timmy who never had to worry about money or bullying or strange new feelings for Tommy-across-the-road will probably be okay with or without issue books. But for the teens who finally see themselves and their problems and, here's the big one, someone else experiencing and overcoming them, these books could be a literal life-saver. Yes, we write to entertain and maybe to educate a little, but we also write to show the 'weird kids' and the screw-ups that they're not alone and there's a way through their problems.

Writing about the issues some parents would prefer don't get spoken about doesn't magically bring them into the world; unfortunately there are already teens living them as a reality. You can get onto the subject of whether YA books should be prescriptive or descriptive (showing how things should be versus showing how they are) but I'm always going to fall on the side that having books that handle these topics authentically -- showing the good and the bad and the reasons why -- can never be a bad thing.

In Memoirs of a Geisha, Sayuri's mizuage is an important plot point, and important for her future as a geisha. Mizuage is an auction for an apprentice geisha's virginity. Yeah, I'll just let that sink in. You can imagine that wouldn't go down well in a YA book, even if it was written in the same way i.e. as an important part of the story and the culture, and in anatomical terms that make it clear that this isn't glamorous. The one thing missing from the portrayal is a lecture. No-one says that mizuage is immoral, degrading, or wrong because the characters don't think that. It's not even viewed as something akin to prostitution because there's a whole ceremony attached to it, protocol to be followed during the auction and on the day. There's no drawn-out introspection over her feelings about the event, no unwanted pregnancy or STI to show that this is bad and you shouldn't do it. It happens and Sayuri moves on because that's authentic to her character. If this happened in a YA book, you know there would be some media attention. It probably wouldn't have made Bitch Media's '100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader' (is that old news now?). But it is authentic. Why can't the same courtesy be extended to YA writers, why not assume that we aren't trying to tell people how to live we're just showing how *this character* lives? Because while the issue (rape, incest, kidnap, death of a loved one) may seem so unbelievably horrible and far from our lives, it is true for the character and, more importantly, there are also young readers out there for whom this may be all too familiar.


Do YA authors have a responsibility to teen readers to not glamorise triggering topics? What's your opinion on the existence of these topics in YA books-- are they always unacceptable or are they only okay as long as they show negative consequences?

P.S. Check out Kody's Like Mandarin giveaway. It's international!

P.P.S. There's this thing called twitter and I'm considering the username fleetfootedself for it. Opinions?

14 comments :

  1. Very interesting post. Though I don't currently write YA, I don't think they should write about trigger topics just for the shock value, but in an educational way to perhaps point out the dangers of certain things. I really don't think that under age sex and drug use should be glamorised in anyway. If anything, educate, not condemn or pass judgement. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I think authenticity is key for "triggering" topics. I kind of hate that label, though--anything can "trigger," even the most mundane of subjects. Reading about the food in JULIE & JULIA made me want to cook. Triggering isn't always a bad thing. And so long as serious and emotionally intense topics are treated authentically and without the intent to sensationalize--isn't a response from the reader the point?
    It seems to me like the triggering debate really isn't about the response but the subject matter, and that veers toward censorship. (IMHO)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I have some very strong opinions on this that I won't go into, but suffice it to say that I don't have a problem with "triggering" topics. I think, once again, the whole issue boils down to people not giving teenagers enough credit. Just because there might be sex or drugs or drinking or who knows what in a book does not mean a teen reading it is going to rush out and engage in those things. Censoring your children by forbidding them to read such books just means they're going to sneak behind your back and read them anyway (and then, in my case, actually be MORE inclined to try those things because they are verboten). And as for books with hot topics like rape or incest, sheltering your kids from those realities is only going to make them naive and in for a big shock later on.

    IMO, everyone needs to simmer down and trust our kids. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wonderfully written post. What are my opinions? I think you pretty much just said them. Thank you!

    KH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Sophia. Admittedly, I don't read a lot of YA (I'm just getting into it), but when I was a teen, I hated books that were too bubble gum and didn't address real life issues. Which is why I pretty much jumped from children's books right into adult fiction. My parents trusted me to read what I wanted, and I'm glad they did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought provoking post. I preferred YA books that were "real" and "honest" about problems occurring in the world. I love how you gave the example of Memoirs of a Geisha. Maybe there is a balance that's just difficult to strike? That's why I know I couldn't write YA. It's such a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophia, you speak for my soul. One of the things I love about books is when I read something and think "yeah, I do that too" or "I feel that way all the time." And sometimes it's the opposite, I want to see/feel something completely different to my reality. But identifying with a book's characters and themes will always get me. Your "answer" to the question brought tears to my eyes.
    Similar to someone else's reply, I only read the "classics" and adult fiction when I was a child because when I got past BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA I couldn't find anything worthwhile.
    Now I'm writing for young adults and I want to add to the growing number of brilliant books available to teens. It seems like lazy parenting to keep literature from their kids...instead of talking about the "trigger" issues that they're so afraid of. Easier to just ban it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post-- really well said. I have something for you at my blog. And DO twitter. I held off for a LONG time, but now I "get" it-- and it's a great (very different but important) form of communication for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. D U Okonkwo- I loved the last line of your comment that YA (well, really, all) writers should seek to 'educate, not condemn or pass judgement'. Glad you enjoyed the post!

    Rebecca- I agree with you about disliking the label 'triggering' (hence my quotation marks in the post) and I wasn't even necessarily thinking about your point that you can have good 'triggers'. And now triggers doesn't sound like a word anymore so I'll stop. Also love your point that 'the debate isn't about the [reader's] response but the subject matter', so true.

    Meredith- Loved your point that a teenager might be 'more inclined to try those things because they are verboten'. That should be in Parenting 101, forbidden fruit and all that, hello? Also a great point that sheltering/censoring kids just sets them up for a fall later in life. 'IMO, everyone needs to simmer down and trust our kids. The end.' This needs to be a bumper sticker or a shirt or *something*, like now.

    KH- Glad we're on the same page!

    Jennifer- I love the description 'too bubblegum'! Good on your parents for showing some trust, clearly something went right since now you've got a book coming out. Admittedly it's about a creepy, creepy man with some possession issues but I'm sure that parts imaginary. . .

    Saumya- I think as long as we write YA books that are real and honest, as you said, there will be people out there who get it. Plus we get to have fun with first kisses and first loves and first heartbreaks so it all balances out in the end!

    Sarah- Thank you so much for your comment, I'm really touched that my little (well, maybe not so little) blog post had such an affect on you. I totally agree that parents should be talking about these 'triggering' issues with their children but if that is too hard or awkward then let them read a book about it rather than try to sweep the problem under the rug. That way you just end up with suspicious lumps under your rugs and kids ignorant of problems that could become *their* problem.

    KO- I'm ninety-nine per cent sure of the name I'd go with on Twitter, hopefully it's recognisable as a mix between my blog header and my name and people who know me as My Fleet-Footed Self or Sophia won't be lost when some 'fleetfootedsoph' starts talking to them like they know them! 'Cause that'd be awkward. Headed to your blog now!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sophia! Congratulations on winning my book. Hope you enjoy it. And don't worry - it's all about the characters, not the science fiction tech.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm interesting post! I have to say, I don't think "triggering" topics should be "glamorized" but, I also think that nothing should be off limits while writing.

    As writers, I think it's important to stay true to your story: the character, the world they are in, and your theme. Even if it makes some people cringe.

    As far as showing the negative consequences...well, there isn't always negative consequences in real life, right? Sometimes good things happen to bad people. That can be an important lesson in itself.

    P.S. Yes you should go on twitter, and I like the username. Are you there yet? Must go stalk you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree with your point of view on this. I don't think teen readers are going out and having sex, etc. simply because they read about it in books. I agree that these books are important for the teens struggling with these issues. Some parents disapprove of books like Laurie Halse Anderson's WINTERGIRLS but there are girls out there struggling with eating disorders and this might help them.

    Yay for joining twitter! I love the name you came up with. :) Be sure to follow me (@ghenet) when you join so I can follow you back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Soph, great post, and well thought-out argument. I fall on the side of realism in YA books - these things happen and shouldn't be hidden from YA readers.

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete