Wednesday, 21 September 2011

30 Pitches in 30 Days Blogfest

So last week I received some interest in my 30 loglines in 30 days goal. Other people seem to like the idea, I guess? I know it would definitely help me to know I had someone to report back to, and as Margo said, you have to work the idea muscle. And since there's only one month left until NaNoWriMo, I figured October might be a great time to do a 30 Pitches in 30 Days Blogfest (name changed for the, uh, fun pun on the word 'pitch', see the official badge at the bottom of the post). Maybe one of the ideas you/I come up with will be what you/I end up writing in November, striking while the iron is hot so to speak. (Though I, at least, will still be outlining the pants off of the idea first.)

October starts on a Saturday, so I thought it might be a good plan if the people who want to be involved posted each Friday to check in with everyone else, and to share one of your loglines. I won't ask you to share them all, because I know it can be superstitious enough sharing one, and for the same reason I'm not asking you to necessarily share your best; this is a just a little show of goodwill and camaraderie, it's not a competition. Hell, share your worst and let's all laugh over how we just wrote a logline about a girl finding out she's a witch and getting sent to a magical school of witchcraft without realising we may have heard that idea somewhere else. I'm suggesting we all post on Friday, but if you want to post more often during the week, because a logline has sparked an actual novel or because you want to point out how hard it is to be original, then that's great. On Wednesdays I'll be linking to helpful blog posts to share ways of generating ideas/finding inspiration as well as sharing snippets of the amazeballs Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell. The point here is 1) to force ourselves to come up with ideas which makes idea generation easier, 2) to be accountable, and 3) to have fun.

I'll include a round-up of participants in the sidebar and link to blogs on my Friday posts so we can all see how everyone else is coping and offer props and/or kicks-in-the-butt as needed. How does that sound?

Feel free to steal and spread the official badge below:

8 comments :

  1. LOL All my loglines are pretty bad. And that's after they've been edited a zabillion times. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrible at loglines (TERRIBLE!) but I'll do what I can to support you! This sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Totally count me in! I hope its okay I'll also mention it in my post, see if we can drum up some more interest. Ellie Garrat also "advertises" blogfests on her blog, would you consider running it by her, too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stina Practice makes perfect, and we're definitely going for quantity over quality here.

    @Jennifer Thanks so much, Jennifer!

    @Margo I'd love it if you spread the word a little, and I'll definitely look up Ellie. Thanks so much for your support, Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know and I'll do a post to send peeps your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds cool! I don't know if I'll be able to participate but I'll definitely help you spread the word. I love the idea behind this and really need to take some time to brainstorm more ideas for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @PK That'd be much appreciated, PK, thanks!

    @Ghenet Thanks in advance for your support and for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this 30 Pitches in 30 Days Blogfest sounds like a fun way to generate ideas.

    ReplyDelete