![]() |
| Source |
Laini Taylor's Not for Robots writing blog is generally fantastic (big surprise, no?), but for our purposes I'm sending you straight to the ideas & brainstorming post. Laini's a big believer in the power of brainstorming -- not just at this early stage when the world is your oyster, but also when figuring out where a scene should go, when you get stuck in your writing etc. --, and in this post she offers some ways to get ideas: making lists of favourite things, freewriting, and writing prompts in particular. But she puts it so much better than I could here, so don't take my word for it! You even get a bonus insight into the origins of her book Lips Touch Three Times. Tried and tested methods, these.
This week's three (condensed) tips from James Scott Bells's top twenty ways to get plot ideas in Plot & Structure:
- Issues. What issues push your buttons? Pick an issue that gets you all hot and bothered (not in *that* way), divy up sides, and come up with reasons why people would support either side. Who has the most to gain, to lose, from this issue? Jodi Picoult is crazy good at this.
- Character First. Come up with a character (visualise the first person you 'see', recreate someone you know IRL, read the obituaries). Write his or her story.
- Steal from the Best. A modern retelling of Shakespeare or a fairy tale, for example. As Bell says, "plot is nothing more than a story's pattern". Don't plagiarize, but feel free to borrow and rework plots.

I post about the fest today! I'm totally in!
ReplyDeleteWill definitely check out Laini's post. I've been "stealing from the best" and am up to 10 pitches now, in various stages of disarray :) I think I will try the Issues and Character First techniques next. Thank you so much for these tips!
ReplyDeleteOooh, these are awesome tips! Also, Jodi Picoult is so good at those issue plots!
ReplyDeleteI have Laini's Not for Robots bookmarked. I have gone back to it again and again and again. It's so fantastic!
ReplyDeleteHello! When I saw Laini last month in Chicago, she told us how she had the word "Wishbone" written in her journal, how that word was a favorite of hers. On the day she took time to freewrite about a blue haired teenager and her monster-dad, she included the wishbone around Brimstone's neck. Just 'cause. Just 'cause it was a favorite word she noticed written big in her journal. I love the idea that our favorite things will inevitably propel our stories to bast and surprising places.
ReplyDeleteVery good plot tips!! Great ideas. And thanks for the linkies to Laini's site!
ReplyDelete@KO: Glad to have you aboard!
ReplyDelete@Margo You're very welcome, glad to hear some of these tips are helping!
@Meredith She so is. I may not always love some of her characters but I can't fault her for finding great premises.
@Jennie Damn straight. I have an ongoing list of things I love, now I just need to somehow find a story in there.
@Jes So great to see you in the blogging world again, Jes. I'd love to see Laini in person; she's so creative it's crazy inspiring.
@Carol No problem, I'm always happy to pimp out Laini!
Thanks for sharing her post! If I wasn't so overwhelmed with revisions right now, I'd totally participate in your blogfest. I need to take some time to brainstorm more ideas soon.
ReplyDelete@Ghenet I'll make sure to give more notice next time around! Wait, what?
ReplyDeleteGreat read thankks
ReplyDelete