![]() |
| This will make sense when you read the end of the post, promise. |
It was good getting back to fantasy in April. I say it's my favourite genre (tied with YA currently), but I hadn't read much since about 2008. I know. I used this time to brush up on some of the classics of the genre (Pawn of Prophecy) and to try something new (The Anvil of the World). Probably I won't continue the David Eddings -- it was so classic that it's become cliched -- but I do still want to read the sequel to The Drowning City, although only now that I'm thinking about it.
But the best fantasy I read this year (that isn't a subset of YA, anyway) was Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. The man makes 1000 pages feel like light reading. My only worry is that he's two books into a proposed trilogy and there's still so many dangling threads. We know the highlights of Kvothe's history from the back cover of the first book, and we've seen almost none of it so far. It'll be interesting to see whether Rothfuss can write a fast-paced final book without making it feel rushed, or if he'll have to do the unthinkable and admit there's still too much story to tell, even for a 1000 page book.* He's earned my trust though, so I'll be with him whatever he decides to do. And I'm sure George R. R. Martin's Dance with Dragons would be on the list too if I'd read it yet. More on that to come later in the month/in early January.
Sci-fi had mixed results. I loved Fahrenheit 451. I'll say it again-- the writing was so good. Dune didn't grab me the way I thought/hoped it would. (Sidebar: (Girl of) Fire and Thorns reminded me slightly of Dune because both had the prophet coming to the desert people and turning them into an army.) Hitchhiker's was good, but since I'd already seen the movie I tend to remember that instead of the book. And Fat still has one of my favourite beginnings, along with Fahrenheit 451. Like, paragraphs of awesome I typed up and wrote comments about to figure out what it was I loved so much.
Reading romance pretty much confirmed what I already knew-- I love romantic subplots in stories, I don't like romances. The emphasis on the relationship isn't enough to keep me entertained, especially when you know they're going to end up together. Especially especially if you think the hero is an abusive jerk the heroine should run quickly away from. To be fair, the hero of one of the romances (more like romantic comedy) inspired the creation of a character I love but have no story for-- yet. I still think I Married a Pirate is a great example of how to do a dysfunctional relationship right, not to mention making what should be an abusive hero into a loveable guy. Probably because unlike all the other heroes he never actually physically harms the heroine-- seriously, what is with all the viselike grips on arms and the shoving?
Of course, I realised that I don't like how lacking in plot romances are after finishing writing a YA contemporary romance. Turns out I like writing character-driven stories, but not reading them, and that maybe I should have been learning how to plot instead of indulging myself. So hey, that was a learning experience. Yay...
*In a striking coincidence, Fantasy Faction just posted an interview with Patrick Rothfuss where he says he doesn't regret pinning himself down to a trilogy, so I think it's safe to assume he'll be sticking to three books.

Hang on, I MARRIED A PIRATE is the name of a real book? That sounds ... kind of awesome, actually.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I'm with you on the whole not liking romances thing. I love a good romantic subplot, but as a plot, it's just too much.
DUNE!!!! <333 but yeah, it's not exactly gripping right from the start... lol.
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to check out Rothfuss, everyone keeps telling me about him... Maybe after I finish Dance with Dragons (AHHH READ IT!!!) ahem.
As titles go, it's pretty awesome, yeah.
ReplyDeleteI knowww, but I wanted to reread the series before I read Dance with Dragons, and it's kind of a commitment! I swears, I am working on it.
ReplyDeleteFantasy and YA are my favorite genres to read, too, but I tried branching out this year! I read some horror (not impressed with the Stephen King I read), some sci-fi, some middle-grade. I'm hoping to try one of those bodice-ripping romances and maybe a Western or two next, just for kicks and because I have never read anything in those categories!
ReplyDeleteI MARRIED A PIRATE is an awesome title!
ReplyDeleteI like romantic subplots, too. Of the books I've read in which a romance was the A-plot, I found myself wishing the protagonist would stop obsessing. Maybe I haven't found the right book, though.
Soph- I think the thing I like best about your genre-by-month challenge is that you read SO many genres. i know that sounds obvious... but until I read your lists of books i forget that I stay in my comfort zone of YA/MG/Mystery... and not a whole lot else.
ReplyDeleteWhat Stephen King did you read? I read and enjoyed Salem's Lot, but neither that nor The Green Mile are making me go out and read the rest of his many works.
ReplyDeleteSuch a good point! The emphasis on the relationship does tend to make it look like the MC doesn't have anything else important going on in their life for a man to come along and take up so much mental space. I'm not going to think about whether or not that's an accurate reflection of life, it'll just depress me...
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to give you that a-ha moment! I experienced something similar today while trying to do an advance post for the Class of 2011 Blogfest. I read a lot of YA this year, but because I haven't read much of it since I was a teen I ended up reading books that weren't released in 2011 in an effort to catch up. I need to read more recent releases. I hadn't read books I was hearing about all year (Across the Universe, Divergent, Daughter of Smoke and Bone to an extent) until a few weeks ago!
ReplyDeleteI'm like Kat. I really don't read much of other genres. Besides YA and some MG, I read a little contemporary adult fiction...and that's it! I should branch out more.
ReplyDeleteI'm mostly YA, with some chick lit on the side. I love YA fantasy and dystopian, but I'm a bit scared of non-Terry Pratchett adult fantasy. SO much fantasy seems to get caught up in the epicness of the world, and I like a little more character, and a more fast-paced plot than that.
ReplyDeleteI read "Needful Things" because my co-worker told me it was super scary. I'm a big chicken and I wasn't scared at all! Just bored. I'm not one for horror, though, so maybe I just can't appreciate King... I know a lot of people love his work.
ReplyDeleteThat picture - I woke poor Lily up because I barked out a laugh. OMG. And I don't know the last time I actually typed OMG, but that was all that fit. I'm 3/4s of the way through The Wise Man's Fear. I've struggled with it, to be honest, which is very disappointing to me because I tore through The Name of the Wind. In a matter of days. I was expecting this to be the same, but it just wasn't for me. Fantasy will always, always be my first love - the one that I always go back to after fun, hot, baddie YA guy is done with me and I've grown bored of Romance guy and Thriller guy has turned into a stalker...
ReplyDeleteWow, I don't know any of those fantasy books.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on romance. I love romance as a subplot, but I need more than just romance to enjoy a book. Maybe that's why I used to love historical romances. There are a lot of other things (including danger) going on).
So what is your favorite YA fantasy novel? :D
I'm like you - love, love, love a romantic subplot, but I'm a little iffy on the romance being the main story line. I think maybe I'm too cynical to really enjoy a good romance?
ReplyDeleteThis year was definitely interesting in terms of branching out with my reading. There are only one or two authors who impressed me so much that I've already started reading their other books, but I got off to a good start rediscovering the whole YA genre early in the year. So yeah, Genre of the Month certainly paid it back.
ReplyDeleteYou should give Guy Gavriel Kay a try. He writes mostly standalone novels, so you don't have to commit to a lengthy series, and while his worldbuilding is epic in terms of holy-hell-it's-so-well-thought-out, his stories are definitely about the characters' place in the world rather than just cardboard cutouts giving a tour.
ReplyDeletePoor Lily, but I am glad to get a laugh! I think because we spend so much of the book with Kvothe still at university and doing 'the usual' (fighting with his nemesis, lessons, needing money) it didn't read as fast in the beginning/middle, but the pace picks up when he gets on the road.
ReplyDeleteFavourite YA fantasy... well, I haven't read that many straight fantasy YA books, but if I can include paranormal as a subset of fantasy then I can answer you without too much thought. So I'm going to go with that, and say Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy (The Summoning, the Awakening, the Reckoning). I might have to talk about all the awesome reasons I love them in a blog post so I don't have to keep typing it out in comments: a link would be so much easier! ;)
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm so with you. I have a secret romantic buried deep down in me, but you have to get through the layers of cynicism first, and you can't do that in a book where it's all romance all the time.
ReplyDelete