Monday, 5 December 2011

The End

There's still one month left in the year, but considering I was debating between nonfiction or short-stories this month and neither are actually genres, it felt appropriate to conclude my Genre of the Month series. Last week I ended Writing Craft month by saying that the best book to teach you how to write is all the books, and that pretty much sums up this past year's experience. So for the last month of the year and this series, I'm doing a roundup of the books I read in 2011.

And I have a confession to make.

I've been holding out on you. The books I reviewed this year weren't the only books I read! I know, it's shocking. So some of the books I'm going to recommend won't be linked to reviews, but if they make my top ten out of the 110 (and counting) books I've read, you can safely assume they have merit.

Onwards! As I'm sure you remember, the first quarter of the year was spent reading Young Adult (also technically not a genre, but shh), contemporary fiction, and historical fiction. I've read a lot more Young Adult books since January, and I'll go into way more detail about the YA books I've read outside of Genre of the Month later this month, but The Hunger Games (the book and the trilogy) still ranks highly in its category and in the books I've read from all genres.

In contempary fiction, The Time Traveler's Wife still sticks with me as a gorgeously written and plotted book, and I still want to write an artist character in the vein of Clare. Since reading My Sister's Keeper I've also read and enjoyed another Jodi Picoult book (Nineteen Minutes), and I plan to read more as she is ridiculously good at using current events to come up with awesome premises. Another contemporary fiction book I liked reading offscreen was One Day, by David Nicholls. I loved the structure -- showing the developing relationship of a man and woman by seeing them on the anniversary of the day they met for almost two decades -- and despite the time jumps the story flowed and their progressing feelings toward one another never felt stilted.

Of the historical fiction, surprisingly I haven't thought too much about the books I read, but I do still want to read the sequel to The Last Kingdom. Considering I'd read more historical fiction before this year and would have called it a favourite after fantasy, I think out of the first three months this was the month I enjoyed least, but only because I had such good experiences diving into YA and with most of my contemporary choices (not Jonathan Franzen).

Genre of the Month Overview #2
Genre of the Month Overview #3
Genre of the Month Overview #4

22 comments :

  1. I'm a big fan of Jodi Picoult. One Day sounds great. I think it was made into a movie recently. I should check it out. So many books to read, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold the phone! You've read 110 books so far this year? Good lord, woman, that is impressive!

    I really liked 19 Minutes too. I like Jodi Picoult's style. Multi-character POV is hard to pull of, but she nails it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Clare, and she inspired the main character in my non-kidlit WIP.

    You read 110 books! Whoa. Go Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed your Genre of the Month series. THE HUNGER GAMES and NINETEEN MINUTES are among my favorites, and I learned of lots of new titles through reading your posts. Thank you! Hope to see you post about all your YA faves from 2011 in the Class of 2011: YA Superlatives Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you me?! haha, I read (& loved) all of these this year too, except for the last kingdom... and HG, cause I read that last year, lol. :)

    @Ghenet -- I have a copy of One Day if you wanna borrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jodi Picoult's books! She always writes about the most heart-wrenching issues. And yay for the Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 19:12

    I think you're right about the movie, and since Ellen has a copy you can borrow you totally should read the book when you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 19:13

    What can I say-- I compensate for having no life by living vicariously through books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 19:14

    Ooh, very intrigued by your Clare-inspired MC. I don't think I knew you were working on an adult WIP. And yay for books, the life savers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 19:16

    I'm glad you liked the series and that you got some book recommendations out of it. I'll be starting on my YA Superlatives Blogfest posts soonish so I actually post them on time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 19:16

    Haha, brainwaves on the book choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 19:17

    So glad I finally gave My Sister's Keeper a chance. When something gets hyped up too much it tends to have the opposite effect of making me not want to read/watch it for fear it could never live up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm putting book review blogs on my sidebar. I'll add yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 20:16

    Thanks a lot for spreading the word, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy moly! 110 books this year! WOW! You're a rock star.

    I think I'm going to read The Hunger Games trilogy again. I read it so fast before, it might be nice to slow it down, see if I missed anything. Do you ever re-read your books?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sophia Richardson5 December 2011 at 22:34

    The rock star comment made me smile; thanks, Jennifer!

    I don't re-read often, but I've unofficially deemed next year the year of re-reading: I still haven't read George R. R. Martin's Dance With Dragons because I was waiting to re-read the series, and between reading for Genre of the Month and my exploration of YA I haven't had the time. I plan to re-read a lot of fantasy, as well as re-reading The Hunger Games to analyse it. Like you said, I read the book so fast I didn't study too much just how Collins made it such an action-packed fast-paced read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I haven't read Picoult yet, and I've been meaning to. I'll add her to my list right now. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually just rewatched the Time Traveler's Wife last night (which did NO justice to the book, IMO) and I'm all pumped up to reread it. It's a beautiful story, isn't it? I've been meaning to read the newer book by that author, but just haven't had the time or room on my to-read list. I've read one Jodi Picoult book and have also been meaning to try more... her work is ALL over the place whenever you set foot in a bookstore! Talk about prolific!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I agree with you about Clare from Time Traveler's Wife. and the male lead, too, I forgot his name. They totally lost their dimensions in the movie. The movie, blech. I'm also a big fan of Jodi Picoult. I have to read her books twice, once for emotional impact and then again to study her craft.

    So far my top books of 2011 are... oh, wait, I think I'll post on that, you've got a great idea here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sophia Richardson11 December 2011 at 18:55

    Even if you don't always (or ever) love her writing, you've gotta admire the awesome premises she comes up with. Definitely give her a go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sophia Richardson11 December 2011 at 18:57

    I contemplated watching the film after reading the book, but I figured it probably wouldn't live up simply because the time they spend apart, and their thoughts about one another, are so important to understanding their later relationship. Books have the advantage in some respects, and the ability to show internal development is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sophia Richardson11 December 2011 at 18:57

    Glad to have inspired a blog post, gives me more to read!

    ReplyDelete