You guys, it's the last 30 Pitches in 30 Days Friday post! The finish line is Right. There. High-fives and brofists to my amazing participants Margo and Katherine Owens!
I think the most important thing this whole exercise has taught me is that you have to make the time. My last minute pitches look just that: last minute. Sure, last night's ditch attempt to come up with anything at all, holy crap I am so tired, actually led to something kind of interesting, but that was the clear exception to the rule. The thing about this blogfest is that when you compare the pitches, or even just the snippets of ideas, I've come up with in the past four weeks to, say, the past six months, there's a definite imbalance in idea production.
I'll say it again, nice and loud: make idea production a priority. A fun priority, sure, but a priority nonetheless. It shouldn't be something you squeeze into your week when you're in bed on Sunday night; it should be a part of your schedule. Maybe not weekly, but for the sake of your idea muscle, set aside time to just play.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a passion for building a platform and finding your market that made you want to be a writer. It was probably reading a book that made an impression on you and wanting to tell a story that would excite other people as much. So get excited! Read Margo's post about including your passion in your pitches and throw all your loves in the blender, and see what happens. Follow KO's suggestion to think way outside the box to stretch the idea muscle and get beyond your comfort zone. In the words of Nike, just do it. Sit down with your laptop or notebook and actively chase down ideas. Don't let 'the muse' take credit for your imagination!
My pitch for the week: After her neighbour dies and no-one notices for days, a single thirty-something starts a blog about her weekly dates intending to be in a relationship within six months or admit defeat.

I love the idea of making idea production a priority. Saves time down the line after you finished one ms and want to start a new one--but have no ideas to pull from.
ReplyDeleteOff to check out Margo's post. :D
I'm someone who tends to put idea production on the back burner, so this was a good reminder for me. Also to write down the ideas I have whenever I get them--I'm bad about that.
ReplyDeleteSUCH good advice. I hope to make idea production a priority from now on. Usually it'll be a spur-of-the-moment process where an idea whacks me on the head in the middle of the night and I sit up in bed, or it'll appear in the shower and be half-forgotten when I step out. I need to take some time to sit down and brainstorm and expand.
ReplyDeleteOooh, I like your pitch! This was such a cool idea to do. I definitely need to focus more on idea production, I think.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right about taking the time to do it- so glad I did!!
ReplyDeleteI like this pitch, its a strong premise. Much more so than that Julie and Julia book/movie with the cooking blog! (though I still enjoyed that story, mostly because Julia Childs is such a character!) So what's your girl's conflict? What if one of her dates (the one she REALLY likes) discovers her blog and is offended that he's on it?
@Stina Too true, if I'd spent more time brainstorming while working on my last MS I wouldn't be cruising around for an idea still lo these many months later!
ReplyDelete@Rebecca Thankfully I've gotten better about writing down ideas when they come to me, now I just have to get better about coming to the ideas.
@Julie Dang ideas pop up at the most inconvenient times, don't they? That's why chasing them down at a set time works, because at least then when genius strikes you have a pen right there in your hand.
@Meredith Thanks, Meredith, and good luck to you.
@Margo I hadn't thought about it much beyond the current stage, but I like the idea of the guy discovering he's on the blog-- and, more importantly, that all these other guys (one of them a friend or relative or his boss?) are on there, too. Hmm I like the boss angle, could make for interesting male pride scenarios; of course the boss took her to the new fancy restaurant, he can afford it. And that was the weekend he was working overtime to try to finish that project the big bad bossman dropped in his lap at the last minute. Oh dang, I'm getting carried away.
I didn't get in on this, Sophia, but it sounds fantastic, and I'm inspired even by this one post. Such a good point--to throw all your loves in a blender and see what happens. I honestly hadn't thought of that before. I was more just 'trust the ideas to come when they need to come' kind of writer. SO inspiring of you to stir that all up and shake it around!
ReplyDeleteYou're right that we should make idea production a priority. I think I'm going to dedicate some time to this after I finish revising my WIP and move onto another project. Thanks for all the inspiration! :)
ReplyDeleteAgree 100%. Great advice and cool idea - I'd never heard of 30 pitches in 30 days.
ReplyDeleteI like that pitch! BTW, "idea muscle"? That's awesome. You should copyright that. :) And I'm with you ... reading good literature is the best spinach for our imaginations.
ReplyDeleteI've definitely converted to being more active about finding ideas!
ReplyDeleteI wish I'd taken a more active role in idea production when I finished my last WIP, maybe I'd have been able to take part in NaNoWriMo. Alas, I will have to wait till next year or do ROW80-- inspired by your posts, of course.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lindsay! It was an eye-opening experience.
ReplyDeleteAnd *you* should could copyright imagination spinach!
ReplyDelete