Monday, 14 November 2011

Save the Cat

You need to read Save the Cat because you need the Blake Snyder beat sheet. You may not *know* that you need it, but trust me, you do. In 15 plot points, Snyder shows you how to structure your novel so that you have the necessary highs and lows to make your three acts soar. Is your middle sagging? Could be because you don't have an effective Midpoint (Reversal). Does your protagonist win too easily, seeming to take everything in his or her stride? You're missing the All is Lost Moment. Does your protagonist just waltz right into the initial drama without considering whether he/she has other options? Throw in some Debate.

And then there's a whole chapter on fixing common plot problems: the inactive hero, the villain who could be more villainous, the dialogue that sounds like real people talking (absurd!). And there's the storyboard. And the 10 genres (not genre as in fantasy vs. sci-fi) that every story ever can be slotted into, basic story structures that'll set you up for life. And the ideas for scenes you need -- such as the Save the Cat scene, see the title -- that make the character sympathetic, or adds humour to the book, or sets up foreshadowing for later.

But even if none of that interests you, you still need the book for the beat sheet. Just ask Laura Pauling, or Laura Pauling, or hey, check out this one blog post by Laura Pauling. Commercial or literary, fantasy or contemporary, the beat sheet works, for movies and books.

26 comments :

  1. I've heard that books on screenwriting can be very helpful for novel writing. I'll have to check this one out - I'm always looking for ways to make the process easier. Thanks, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have revisions on their way. I need this to face them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah swears by this book, so the rest of us plan to borrow it from her. We hear lots of good things, and actually more from novelists than from screenwriters (whom Blake Snyder was actually writing for).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds brilliant, thanks, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for spotlighting Blake's great work. He'd be delighted to see this! Re: We Heart YA - Blake worked with many, many novelists, and was even brought into the RWA as a guest speaker. Structure is universal! Meow!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, I clearly need this book. Going to check it out right now! Thanks, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you say I need it, then I need it! It sounds amazing, actually. Must get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love SAVE THE CAT, love the Beat Sheet. My only complaint is that it's hard to watch a movie now without making a mental note of all the beats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sophia, I've posted on why the US may not be the best fit for international authors. I know you wanted to read about it. http://aclairedawn.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-us-may-not-be-ideal-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:06

    No problem, Jennifer, and you're so right-- screenwriting books seem to have the best tips. They really know structure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:06

    You're most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:07

    I promise once you've borrowed it you'll want to buy your own copy; I borrowed from the library, and now I'm a proud owner. I can see it becoming lovingly dog-eared. Okay, not really, I take good care of my books, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:07

    You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:08

    Screenwriters seem to have the science of structure down to an art; it's no wonder novelists devour books geared toward them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:09

    You're very welcome, and you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:09

    You must! I will be very surprised if you don't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:09

    That's kind of good though, it means you learned something! Yay, learning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sophia Richardson15 November 2011 at 13:10

    I did, I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big believer in learning by doing, and I think a strong writer will be someone who writes frequently. But I love the idea of perfecting your technique with these books and working on your weak points. You always have the best recommendations for books on craft!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, you (and Laura Pauling) have convinced me! I will get a copy asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks like a great book! I need to polish up on all of this. Going on my Amazon wishlist! Thanks, Goblin Market sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Argh! I HAVE to get this book! I'm almost afraid to run my novel through the Test though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sophia Richardson17 November 2011 at 22:42

    I definitely need to work on my plotting weakness; hopefully these craft books will help!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sophia Richardson17 November 2011 at 22:42

    Yes, join us!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sophia Richardson17 November 2011 at 22:42

    Happy to help, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sophia Richardson17 November 2011 at 22:43

    It can only make your book stronger, though considering how massively helpful your critiques are, I doubt you're making many major mistakes! Alliteration.

    ReplyDelete